Wednesday

Review: A Most Inconvenient Marriage


A Most Inconvenient Marriage
A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina Jennings

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Seriously, Jennings is the most improved author of the decade. Her first novel was poorly researched, but was interesting. There is much good to say about this novel, though. Jennings takes a hard look at prejudice after the Civil War. I'm quite impressed with the research. She includes some sweet romance, quite a bit of levity, and a hard look at some medical practices in the mid-nineteenth century.

She also has a flare for some interesting situations that explode like a released spring, or into some hilarity. Very well written in those parts.

However, there is one part at the very beginning that reads like it was puffed to add more pages. After about the 2nd chapter there's no need for it because it adds no suspense, romance, or clarity to the story. I'd seriously consider skipping the part at the beginning that tells about a certain man's discovery. I was half way through the book before I realized that he wasn't who I thought he was, which caused considerable confusion and no tension.

Aside from that, I will definitely be looking for more from Regina Jennings! A worthy read.
5 of 5 stars!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Get widget