Wednesday

Review: On Love's Gentle Shore

On Love's Gentle Shore On Love's Gentle Shore by Liz Johnson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I am usually the odd one out when it comes to reviewing books. I do have very high standards, and this one falls short. But I do have a very good reason.

After 15 years Natalie and Justin are just as hopping mad at each other as if they had separated the day before. Fifteen years after my divorce from a man that cheated on me with 2 prostitutes not once but twice, I had forgiven him and we were able to be friends. Mostly because we shared 2 daughters and grandchildren, but the searing anger was gone. I knew that God said to forgive. Period. I had to work hard at forgiving, but I finally did.

These 2 lovebirds were supposed to be Christian and yet had harbored vicious anger forever. I wonder if Johnson knows just how long 15 years really is. I wonder if she even thought about God's command to forgive.

I got fed up with the spitting venom, which was not funny nor was it a particularly pleasant reading experience. Having lived for 22 years in a marriage with that kind of vicious bickering and venom, it took me a little while to understand why I had such an aversion to this story. It was the anger. And believe me, Johnson does an excellent job in describing that.

So don't take my observations to much to heart. I can imagine a really cold simmering anger after 15 years, but not this hot, raging vitriol. It didn't make sense.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Get widget