Wednesday

Miserly Moms-


Jonni McCoy has got a handle on all things frugal. I just thought I knew all the tricks, growing up in a very frugal home with a very frugal Mom. Jonni has taught an old dog lots of new tricks.
Even though the title says Moms, everyone should have this book and should study it because there is something in it for everyone.
For the longest time, I have hated how grocery prices keep going up an up. After the price of gasoline topped $4.00 a gallon, I knew it wouldn't be long before we'd see a reflection of it at the grocery. It really isn't their fault, diesel prices haven't gone down much and trucking is what moves the food from Pacific Coast to Atlantic Coast.
I highly recommend this book. It has loads of excellent advice with menus and some recipes, too, just to prove that it really can be done. We do not have to live on two incomes!
Did you know that coupons really do not save you as much as you think? That house brands are usually just as good and cheaper than the name brands with the coupon? I knew that. I had figured that out. But, what I did not know was that you should not do all your shopping at the same store.
Take the time to find the deals at each store and shop just for the deals. I've always known not to shop when hungry, but I didn't realize how much I could save if I went to several different stores for my weekly shopping. Jonni tells me that I should plan my meals around the weekly specials on meats, rather than plan meals and then hope to find cheap.
Oh, yes, definitely everyone needs this book. It'll make your pocketbook fatter.

No comments:

Get widget