Wednesday

Submerged by Dani Perry

This book is all about second chances with a backdrop of Alaska. I found the story quite absorbing, but it was written like Alaska was an after thought, or perhaps there was a change of location at the last minute.

There are certain aspects of environment that are expected to appear in a story. If the place is Alaska, even in the summer, the weather is mentioned. It is expected. So often in this storyline there are many missed opportunities to incorporate Alaska as a character. It is big country, it is cold, it is majestic. Even summer afternoons are not that warm (ask Sarah Palin). For me, this was a distraction. I missed the mentions of majestic scenery. I missed the mentions of cold water scuba gear.

So, I found it a combination of great, and anemic. It gets 2 out 5 stars.

No comments:

Get widget