Saturday

Review: The Heiress Comes to Town

The Heiress Comes to Town The Heiress Comes to Town by Janet Syas Nitsick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received this book from the author, and I am happy to review it.

This is an excellent premise for a historical romance. The characters are distinct and believable, and I can feel Nina's desperation to get away from her controlling father.

The book is well-written, although as an editor there are lots of things I could suggest such as removing a couple of modernisms (which it has been a few weeks since I read it and now can't remember them). Modernisms are things the characters say that are from modern language. And there is some wordiness that seems to dam up the story flow at times.

However, that said, the story is a good one, and fairly fast-paced. You get a good feel for Victorian small town America, but there is a lack of nosy-ness of neighbors that always goes with small-town life.

The main characters are well-developed. The supporting cast could use a little fine tuning. Mrs. Green seems kindly at first, then rather dictatorial, then fiercely loyal...

I recommend this book, and give it 4 stars out of 5.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Get widget