Tuesday

Review: The House on Foster Hill

The House on Foster Hill The House on Foster Hill by Jaime Jo Wright
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I'm sorry, but this story is not my cuppa tea. I really hate dual stories mixed into one novel. I haven't read an author that has been able to really do something like that well. If you start out in the present than hark back to a hundred years ago, it's really hard to do transitions well. No exception here.

Character development is basically non-existent except for Ivy. I think Wright liked Ivy more than--what's her name. Seems like she spent more time with her. However, without well-balanced character building, I found I didn't really care about either girl, or their love interests.

The dual story line gave no time for building suspense. Using cliff-hanger chapter endings is just plain annoying when you flip to a different time frame in the next chapter. It is a ploy that TV scripts use to keep people glued through commercials... don't need that in books. If the story premise is good and the writing is good, readers will come back to the story.

Maybe I'm too persnickety, but I value and guard my reading time because I have so little of it. This one wasn't worth the time I spent.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Get widget