Wednesday

Review: Convergence

Convergence Convergence by Ginny L. Yttrup
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have tried and tried to read this book that is written in present tense. I wish I'd know it was present tense before I ordered it, because I wouldn't have. It takes a special type of author to write in present tense well so that you don't notice that it's present tense. This one shouts, "Hey, I'm present tense. Pay attention to me and not the story."

So here's the warning, if you have a problem with present tense--don't read. If you don't mind present tense then you might have a problem with this book because the editor did not understand that all the verbs should not be present tense because of the nuances of dialogue and narrative. It takes lots of practice writing in present tense to make it unnoticed and part of the story structure. Present tense in this story isn't a foundation but a red flag waving in the breeze of the story. Therefore it makes getting into the story hard, and concentrating on the story harder.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Get widget