Wednesday

Trouble the Water

This story is quite a bit better than her first novel, The Spirit of Sweetgrass, It is another Slice of Southern and Seitz does a good job with dialect. Although, I've been told you aren't supposed to do that anymore. I say, if it works, do it. And it works in the novel.

An excerpt:

"This is another thing I know for a fact: a woman can't be an island, not really. No, it's the touching we do in other people's lives that matters when all is said and done. The silly things we do for ourselves--shiny new cars and jobs and money--they don't mean a hill of beans. Honor taught me that. My soul sisters on this island taught me that. And this is the story of true sisterhood. It's the story of Honor, come and gone, and how one flawed woman worked miracles in this mixed-up world."

But, you'll have to read Trouble the Water and decide for yourself.

No comments:

Get widget