Tuesday

Review: Stuck in Manistique

Stuck in Manistique Stuck in Manistique by Dennis Cuesta
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of the most fun books I've read in a long time.

It's unique in premise as well as the myriad of characters, some quirky and some with definite depths that I look forward to exploring in later books.

One of my favorite things about this book is the way Dennis Cuesta deals with death. Mostly it is the death of people hardly known, or not known very well. An aunt dies and leaves all her possessions to her nephew. What's so dramatic about that? A lot, and you'll be so glad you picked up this book to find out why.

I'm giving it four stars because I wasn't thrilled with the beginning. It was rather boring. I put it down, and then went back to it because I said I'd review the thing. I thought it would be a skim through, but instead, it gripped me in throws of laughter and sadness and surprise and at times made me want to have a sit-down talk with a character or two to get them set on the right track. You'll figure out who I'm talking about when you read the book.

Lively characters move the story along. Some just float in and float away, but isn't that how people do when they stay at a bed and breakfast? No one actually stays for long, but somehow things happen and some people change their minds, some people actually see the real benefits of being stuck in Manistique.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Get widget