Tuesday

Review: Trauma Recovery - Sessions with Dr. Matt: Narratives of Hope and Resilience for Victims with Ptsd

Trauma Recovery - Sessions with Dr. Matt: Narratives of Hope and Resilience for Victims with Ptsd Trauma Recovery - Sessions with Dr. Matt: Narratives of Hope and Resilience for Victims with Ptsd by Matt E. Jaremko
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a gutsy book. I say that because not many readers like creative non-fiction where scientific points are made then illustrated with fictional illustrations. I know because I wrote a book using that format and didn't seel many copies. But I didn't have the credentials that Matt Jaremko has illustrated with the alphabet behind his name.

I'm not a therapist, nor am I someone who can really judge well what will help most people as they recover from trauma. So many people deal with it in so many different ways. I am a Christian who always goes to the Great Physician for healing--but I have had therapy a couple of times in my life to deal with some terrible issues. That's why it is always a good idea to leave that door open.

One of the purposes of this book is to help people understand how therapy works, and how it can help them deal with post traumatic stress disorder.

This book takes several different situations in fictional form and tackles the handling of PTSD in each situation. Because the situations are so varied, anyone suffering from PTSD will find pearls of wisdom and insights. There are some very good helps/resources in the back for you to walk through the kind of therapy that is depicted in this book.

I liked the book. I really liked the laymen's presentation so I could understand what was being depicted. I was very disappointed that faith wasn't presented as a major part of the healing process--but I didn't clarify that aspect with Dr. Jaremko before agreeing to review this book. So, that wasn't factored into my ranking. I liked it, but I didn't feel a deep connection with any of the people in the group therapy. Maybe it was the way the characters were depicted. I don't know. Maybe because it is so very difficult to write non-fiction with fictional illustrations to bring home the point.

Don't let that scare you away from the book. It can definitely be helpful to anyone that has suffered, is suffering PTSD and to those who are close to a person suffering PTSD.

I received this book from Dr. Matt Jaremko. This is my honest opinion of the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Get widget